Recently I have been talking to many amazing students who are in the middle of their graduation. And there's been one common topic among all. Internship! Some of them were a little confused about why they needed to take an internship.
While talking to people who have done internships in the past and now working full-time, I could see some common topics they all appreciated from their internships. So I thought let's jot down (almost) everything about an internship. What it is, why you should take it, the perks of an internship, and how it might play a pivotal role in your career.
All About Internships
An internship is a professional arrangement provided by companies to assist students and recent graduates in training and gaining job experience. The notion of participating as an intern dates back a long time, although it has developed significantly. The goal of an internship is primarily to learn new skills to land a future full-time job.
Having a decent degree is not adequate to get the best job offer after graduation in today's environment. When developing a thriving career, relevant job experience is essential. As a response, internships have emerged as a vital opportunity for students and fresh graduates to establish themselves.
Aspects of an Internship
- An intern or trainee might work for a company for a certain period as pre-decided by both parties.
- An internship can last from one to twelve months or more based on the organization and industry.
- Internships are prevalent among university students seeking research or meaningful work experience.
- Internships are currently available in almost every industry and firm, from large to tiny startups to multinational companies.
- Furthermore, there has been an increase in remote internships, which offers the possibility to intern online for multinational corporations.
- The abundance of internship options accessible demonstrates the value of an internship in today's environment.
Perks Of An Internship
🧰 Gain Skills
Most companies want to see relevant work experience in addition to your projects to ensure the candidate is suited for the role. Whether compulsory as per the course or not, an internship can build and showcase your strengths. It is helpful for your future growth to possess the ability to express what you understand about the professional world. Internships can offer you the qualities that companies seek and make you more informed about the career of your choice.
🎯 Enhance Employability
An internship allows you to understand the professional environment better and get a better perspective of your talents and abilities. Showing a recruiter or hiring manager that you possess many different qualities will increase your career prospects. An internship also helps enhance your job search by providing the proper industry exposure.
🎖 Acquire Work Experience
Organizations are looking for a significant background that complements your academic abilities and demonstrates your communication skills in the present economic scenario. Work experience shows companies that you understand what it is to work with a team of professionals. It also indicates that you have learned essential employability skills.
🔍 Find Your Niche
Steady employment necessitates the development of a strategy for standing out. In addition to assisting you in learning critical skills, work experience may distinguish you from most candidates once you begin searching for positions. As everybody's experience is different, highlighting what distinguishes yours will enable you to shine through.
🏋️♀️ Receive Hands-on Training
Work experience is beneficial if you are enrolled in a professional degree like engineering, business studies, healthcare, or hospitality. An internship is becoming an increasingly important component of professional courses. In addition, some students may find the relevant work experience acquired through internships helpful in determining whether a particular career route is suited.
🤝 Create Your Network
Having practical experience in a career through internships is excellent to see if it is a good fit for you in the long run and start a career in that direction. Internships can also help you find a job since some firms utilize them to discover potential employees. Internships in your desired field can allow you to create a professional network and build relationships that will be beneficial in the future.
How Internships Help Establish A Professional Career
You may believe you know what career you desire, but you will not know if it is a good fit until you obtain some experience. This is one of the reasons why internships are so crucial when it comes to choosing a career.
- Internships allow you to network with young and experienced experts in your sector. If your internship site employs other interns, this is an excellent chance for you to form professional ties with them. Furthermore, as your professional careers progress, you may assist one another in obtaining positions or being recommended for possibilities at your respective firms.
- Internships are significant because they provide the best opportunity to understand your professional skills and limitations. Whenever an intern makes mistakes during their internship, participants can understand how to resolve them while still moving ahead.
- While not all internships give paid employment (avoid unpaid internships), many provide compensation and necessary entry-level experience. Most paid internships have strict skill criteria for candidates though. Obtaining a paid internship might also promote you to potential employers because it demonstrates how your skillset led to you securing a paid internship. It can also give you a sense of financial freedom and make you understand how to begin financial management.
- Doing one internship might pave the path for another. Your former internship may request that you rejoin another internship, or you may utilize your previous experience to showcase your skills in your Peerlist work profile 😉 for further internship interviews. Still, prior internship experience allows you to demonstrate at your next chance that you are devoted to learning and that you have the competence to support you in the role.
- When you are in college, you may have a particular routine that enables you to work, exercise, nap, or socialize with others in between courses. On the other hand, the regular office job results in a distinct lifestyle. You may learn more about prioritizing activities such as exercising, socializing, or performing housework before and after work. This improves your time management abilities since your new schedule forces you to consider how to plan your usual schedule considering office hours.
An internship is valuable because it provides essential skills and exciting opportunities. Interns not only obtain specialized skills in their chosen field, but they also understand how to communicate with experts in the workplace and develop critical soft skills such as time management, discipline, flexibility, problem-solving, and teamwork.
Doing internship have a lot of things to offer in your personal and professional life. I would love to understand what things you learned from your internship and what are the tips you would like to share with others?